I think we have already discussed our love for sweet potatoes. They are considered a superfood (score!) and are so versatile! Even as it gets closer to Spring, I still fire up my oven because I find that casseroles and such are easier to pack as a lunch. Once summer rolls around, it will be salads, salads, salads to keep me cool. But for now, I have been loving the ease and deliciousness of this recipe from Healtheasy!
Below is Healtheasy’s recipe with my modifications. I omitted the honey and flaxseed meal. Honey (to cut down on sugar) and the flaxseed meal because I didn’t have any around!
Sweet Potato Meatloaf
adapted from: Sweet Potato Meatloaf from Gabi Cinkova of Healtheasy
1 lb. ground turkey
1 sweet potato
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp salt
2 heaping Tbsp Italian seasoning
1. Bake or microwave your sweet potato to soften it up. This will make it easier to cut up and it will spread throughout the meatloaf better. I usually poke holes in it with a fork and then put it in the microwave for 8 minutes, turning it over once at about 4 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mash the sweet potato with a fork. Mash it as much as you want. If you want chunks, don’t mash it as much. If you want it to mix into the other ingredients more, then get to mashing!
4. Add the ground turkey, chopped onion, egg, salt, and spices to the sweet potato mash.
5. Mix well and then put into a greased meatloaf pan.
6. Spread the mixture over the meatloaf pan evenly.
7. Cover to avoid burning or leave uncovered if you want a crispy top.
8. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
I can smell this delicious meatloaf as I am typing this post! I cut this massive chunk of meat into four large pieces and pack them for lunch with a steamed vegetable. Meal prep at its finest! Let me know what you think!