Last fall, I was looking for healthy but delicious snack recipes to make for Spencer and I. We both love pumpkin, and so when I came across Jessica’s Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies, I had to make them. The recipe is from Jessica in the Kitchen.
Since making these delightful cookies for the first time, I have made them almost weekly. I would make them more often if Spencer got everything he wished for. I made a few modifications to Jessica’s recipe that I wanted to share:
I leave out the peanut butter. I tried the recipe with peanut butter the first time, but I found that it takes over some of the pumpkin flavor and honestly, I am not a big peanut butter fan. Plus, leaving out the peanut butter lowers the fat content of the cookies. I do add an additional 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree to even out the texture without the peanut butter.
I leave out the flax seeds because I don’t want the texture to be crunchy, and I didn’t have any flax seeds in the house the first time I made the cookies.
Below is Jessica’s recipe as I make it!! (usually I double the recipe so they last more than a couple days)
Jessica’s Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
adapted from: Jessica in the Kitchen
2 and 1/4 cups rolled quick oats
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients in order.
4. Stir all the ingredients together. Make sure that all the oatmeal and other dry ingredients are moistened by the pumpkin puree and syrup.
5. Use your hands to form the cookies. I usually mold them into a ball, flatten the ball out into a cookie shape and then press the edges in to make the cookie round but flat.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes (if you can wait that long before you dig in!!)
I hope you all enjoy these cookies as much as Spencer and I do!